Otford Society Latest Newsletter

Otford Society
otfordsociety@otford.net

Otford Society Committee
Chairman Keith Gofton chairman@otfordsociety.org.uk
Treasurer Derek Buck treasurer@otfordsociety.org.uk
Secretary Ted Scott secretary@otfordsociety.org.uk
Membership Secretary Gary Bennett membership@otfordsociety.org.uk
Newsletter Editor Phil Chapman newsletter@otfordsociety.org.uk
Newsletter Distribution   distribution@otfordsociety.org.uk
Social Media Coordinator James Grist socialmedia@otfordsociety.org.uk
Also:Diana Adams.
We are currently searching for new committee members - please contact us if you would like to help.
 

Current Newsletter
2016 Spring
[Page turning version ]

Next Newsletter: To be confirmed.

Archived Newsletters
2015 Spring
| Summer | Autumn
2014 Spring | Summer | Autumn
2013 March | June | Autumn
2012 June
| March
2011 September
| June | March
2010 September
| June | March
2009 September | June | March
2008 September | June
2008 April
2007 October
| June | April
2006 October
| June | April
2005 December
| June | April
2004 October
| May
2003 December
| August | May 
2002 September

2001 May

Road Safety Report Tel no
Jeff Lee 2009 Road Signage in Otford (text and sample pictures) [ 8.7mb]

Discuss Topic in Sevenoaks Community ForumAdd Your Comment in the Forum
525225
2008 Road Safety Report (simplified) [ 0.1mb]


Otford Society Logo   The Otford Society
Registered with the Civic Trust
Affiliated to the Council for the Protection of Rural England
and the Kent Federation of Amenity Societies
Registered Charity no. 272974

Otford is a Kent village on the river Darent two miles north of Sevenoaks and twenty-five miles south east of London. The Pilgrims Way passes through the village and its centre is the duck pond, which is unique in being designated a listed building.

People have lived in the area for at least three thousand years; a Bronze-age urn was found in Greenhill Road in 1970, and there have been many Iron-age and Roman finds. The name Otford seems to have been used as early as 800AD and may be associated with the battle that Offa, King of Mercia, fought in the district against the Kentishmen about the year 776. The name Offa could have been corrupted to Ottenford and then to Otford. Some hundreds of years later a Canterbury scribe endorsed one of the king’s charters of 790: "The same Offa gave to the church of Christ in Canterbury a vill name Oteford".

St Bartholomew's Church   The village has always centred around the church, the first stone church being built between 1050 and 1080, and the Bishop’s Palace. St. Bartholomew’s Church much added to and altered down the years is steeped in history. Part of the original 11th century wall is still to be seen.
Otford Palace   Otford Palace was one of the residences of the Archbishop of Canterbury from the ninth century until Henry VIII forced Archbishop Cranmer to relinquish it to the Crown. In the early sixteenth century Archbishop Warham built the Palace in size and splendour to rival Hampton Court. Sadly only one part of the gate house remains but it is thought provoking to gaze at brickwork and think that Henry Tudor did the same.

There are many interesting private dwellings in Otford such as Pickmoss in the High Street and Broughton Manor. Descriptions of these can be found in a leaflet published by The Otford Society, which is on sale at the library and many local shops at 30p. The Society also provides leaflets on two pleasant walks from Otford free car park at the same price.

The Otford Society is a non-profit making organisation having over one thousand members who are residents of Otford. Its purpose is to preserve, as far as possible, all aspects of Otford’s character and village life.